India is dominating advertising effectiveness throughout the world. Indian agencies won the top three effective campaigns in Warc’s rankings published in March this year.
Ogilvy India has won the Grand Effie or Best in Show at the APAC Effie Awards, and its grand total of 18 awards – 1 Grand Effie, 6 Golds, 4 Silvers and 7 Bronzes, which contributed to Ogilvy India’s being Agency of the Year and Ogilvy’s being the Agency Network of the Year. India topped the medal count with 14 awards and 1 Grand Effie. Australia was second with 14 awards and New Zealand third with 13.
Ogilvy’s Grand Effie was won for Vodafone Sakhi – a mobile-based safety service dedicated to protecting Women’s Privacy through private number recharges. Vodafone Sakhi was developed in response to the prevalent social issue of sexual harassment through mobile phones in India.
Vodafone went on to win Brand of the Year and 2nd place for Marketer of the Year. 79 awards were presented t this year’s APAC Effie Awards – 1 Grand Effie, 18 Golds, 23 Silvers and 37 Bronzes. The inaugural Independent Agency of the Year award was awarded to KOO-KI, which won several awards for its Oyster Kanji Dictation for client, Hiroshima Prefecture.
Australia won two Golds, four Silvers and eight Bronzes to achieve its #2 position.
- CHE Proximity won 2 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze for Swann Insurance Inconvenience Stores.
- The Monkeys won 1 Silver for MLA How Unity Returned Lamb to Growth an 3 Bronzes, 1 for each of FCAI Don’t Die Wondering, Beam Suntory The Big Question and Insurance Australia Group NRMA: Help Is Who We Are.
- AJF Partnership won 1 Silver and 1 Bronze for How One Word Changed EOFYTHING for Officeworks.
- BMF Sydney won 1 Silver for George Weston Foods Unleashing the Golden Crumpet.
- Ogilvy Sydney won 1 Bronze for KFC Buckethead Army
- Clemenger BBDO Sydney won 1 Bronze for Tabcorp Head vs Heart
- Leo Burnett Melbourne and AIRBAG won 1 Bronze for Australian Marriage Equality For Every Bachelor and Bachelorette.
New Zealand won three Golds, three Silvers and seven Bronzes.
- DDB New Zealand won 2 Golds and 1 Silver for Netsafe Re:scam
- BC&F Dentsu won 1 Gold and 1 Bronze for November Foundation The Face of Change, 2 Bronzes for Meridian Energy Declaring War on Norway and 1 Bronze for Tower Insurance How Tower Simplified Insurance.
- Sweetshop and Scoundrel won 2 Silvers for NZ Lotteries Lotto: Imagine.
- Colenso BBDO won 3 Bronzes, 1 each for Spark New Zealand Kupu, Spark New Zealand Little Can Be Huge and Pedigree SelfieSTIX.
Special Award winners were:
Agency of the Year:
#1: Ogilvy India
#2: DDB New Zealand
=#3: Ogilvy Beijing
=#3: Barnes Catmur & Friends
Network of the Year:
#2: BBDI Worldwide
#3: McCann Worldgroup
Independent Agency of the Year:
#2 The Womb Communications
Marketer of the Year:
#1: Insurance Group Australia
=#2: Vodafone Idea
=#2: Wanda Group
Brand of the Year:
=#1: Vodafone India
=#1: Danzhai Wanda Village
#3: Swann Insurance
Charles Cadell, chairman of the APAC Effie Awards 2019, commented, “We saw that the Asian pursuit of excellence has not slowed. This year, we saw many markets performing better compared to last year. It is clear that marketing excellence in Asia is at last becoming more broad-based in its choice of habitat – not least driven by the new digital and social platforms in which our region often leads the world.”