Free the Bid is offering female directors the chance to nail the year ahead with an inspiring weekend on Saturday, November 30 – Sunday, December 1.
The weekend will be broken up into three parts.
The first section will lead with a panel series of top tier directors, including Tracey Rowe, Fiona McGee, Jasmin Tarasin and Gemma Lee.
The panel will discuss:
- The advantages and disadvantages of being a signed director and a freelance director in the current market
- Creating an international profile and working overseas
- How to balance family and the film business
- Making Speculative Work – How to, when to and why to or not?
The second section will feature a series of talks from industry experts such as:
- Refining your Casting Techniques: Casting director, Anousha Zarkesh will work through a variety of casting techniques that you can implement for your next project.
- Get that Look with Panavision: Nic Godoy from Panavision Australia demystifies the technical and creative elements of the new large format cameras and lenses. The large format workshop incorporates visual presentation, video references and live ‘set’ demonstration.
- Help ! TAX !: A detailed workshop on how to run your own business as director, as well as expert tips on how you can make your tax suit your needs.
- Free the Bid success story: Kate Halpin talks through her successful career and the help that Free the Bid exposure has provided.
- Advance colour grading workshop with Angela Cerasi: Colouris, Angela Cerasi, will building on her popular Free the Bid session in 2018, diving deeper into the subject of colour grading language, this time de-mystifying the colour grading workflow, giving practical examples of how to get the best out of your imagery and discussing the future of post-production
In the third section, attendees will work on their brand as a director as well as their pitch to agencies, which is one of the most important components of being a director and often overlooked. This entails a pitch workshop held with leading agency producers, who will help to refine individual pitches, and provide a clear story on directors’ work. Each director will then have a chance to pitch to five agencies on a panel, where they will get feedback on their work and pitch technique.
The workshop will then discuss what the new framework of Free The Bid with the recent rebrand to Free The Work. And on Sunday evening, the event will have a Free The Work Christmas party to celebrate all that it has achieved this year.
Numbers are strictly limited, so confirm your place ASAP.
Dates: Saturday 30th Nov 10-6pm, Sunday 1st Dec 10-8pm