It’s on again. Leo Burnett Worldwide has published its 29th annual Cannes Predictions forecasting major Lion contenders ahead of the 63rd Cannes Lions Festival of Creativity. The network has an 84% accuracy rating, but of course, half the fun is finding out where it’s right or wrong. The other half is telling your workmates where you agree or disagree – if you dare – beforehand.
The work was selected by Mark Tutssel, global chief creative officer of Leo Burnett Worldwide, creative chairman of Publicis Communications, and jury president of Direct at this year’s awards festival.
- Wieden + Kennedy NY’s ShottaSoCo for Southern is Leo Burnett’s #1 Cannes contender.
- Colenso BBDO and Spark PHD’s Brewtroleum for DB Breweries is New Zealand’s highest contender at #4.
- Finch’s Deng Adut for University of West Sydney is Australia’s at #14.
- Of Leo Burnett’s own contenders, Sydney’s BrainBAND for Samsung is #24, Madrid’s Justino for the Spanish Christmas Lottery is #6, Chicago’s Van Gogh BnB for the Art Institute Of Chicago is #22 and India’s The Nation’s Bike for Bajaj is #23.
Leo Burnett’s full List of the Top 25 Cannes Contenders:
- SOUTHERN COMFORT “ShottaSoCo”
Wieden + Kennedy / New York | (USA)
2. ANDES BEER “Fairest Night of All” / “Hagglers Campaign”
Del Campo Saatchi & Saatchi / Buenos Aires | (Argentina)
3. DB BREWERIES “Brewtroleum”
Spark PHD | (New Zealand)4.
4. XBOX – TOMB RAIDER “Survival Billboard”
McCann | (UK)
5. REI “#OptOutside”
Venables Bell & Partners | (USA)
6. SPAIN – CHRISTMAS LOTTERY “Justino”
Leo Burnett / Madrid | (Spain)
7. INTERMARCHE “Sugar Detox”
Marcel / Paris | (France)
8. CURRY’S PC WORLD “Spare the Act Campaign”
AMV BBDO / London | (UK)
9. IF INSURANCE “Slow Down GPS”
Forsman & Bodenfors / Gothenburg | Sweden
10. SUUMO “Shell We Move?”
Hakuhodo Kettle / Tokyo | (Japan)
11. HONDA “Paper”
RPA / Santa Monica | (USA)
12. BEATS BY DRE “Straight Outta”
R/GA Hustle / LA | (USA)
13. SHISEIDO “High School Girl?”
Watts of Tokyo | (Japann)
14. UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN SYDNEY “Deng Adut”
Finch Company | (Australia)
15. HOUSE OF CARDS “FU2016”
BBH / New York | (USA)
16. BURGER KING & PEACE ONE DAY “McWhopper”
Y&R New Zealand | (New Zealand)
17. REMY COINTREAU – LOUIS XIII COGNAC “#NotComingSoon”
Fred & Farid Group / New York | (USA)
18. HARVEY NICHOLS – THE REWARD APP “Shoplifters”
Adam & EveDDB / London | (UK)
19. VOLVO – TEST SERIES “Look Who’s Driving”
Forsman & Bodenfors / Gothenburg | (Sweden)
20. PRODISS “#MaPlaceEstDansLaSalle”
Fred & Farid / Paris | (France)
21. SAGAMI “Act of Love”
Hakuhodo / Kettle / Tokyo | (Japan)
22. ART INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO | “Van Gogh BnB”
Leo Burnett / Chicago | (USA)
23. BAJAJ “The Nation’s Bike”
Leo Burnett / India | (India)
24. SAMSUNG “BrainBand”
Leo Burnett / Sydney | (Australia)
25. UNDER ARMOUR “Rule Yourself – Phelps”
Droga5 / New York | (USA)
“This collection represents the year’s most imaginative and innovative thinking from all corners of our industry,” Tutssel commented. “If there’s a macro theme, it’s that the alchemy of creativity and technology can drive cultural impact, transform human behaviour and create meaningful change for both business and the world.”
The creation of the list involves a year-long evaluation of brand work that reflects industry-driving trends. Six have been identified:
From innovation to invention. This year innovation is happening in the form of invention. Samsung “BrainBAND,” If Insurance “Slow Down GPS” and DB Breweries “Brewtoleum” lead that pack.
How many impressions make an impression? There’s no question that the role that news media plays in amplifying brand communications has taken prominence in recent years. So there are more blockbuster ideas, like Remy Cointreau Louis XIII Cognac #NotComingSoon, or hijacking news events like Netflix House of Cards “FU2016”.
Unicorns as media. There re more and more inventive collaborations between brands and tech disruptors, like The Art Institute of Chicago’s “Van Gogh BnB”.
Make it personal. Customised content has come of age in work like Beats by Dre “Straight Outta Compton” effort, which demonstrates that giving people the right tools to participate can turn them into your greatest evangelists.
Authentic truth. REI’s “#OptOutside” demonstrates the power of a bold act from a brand embracing its true self and living its own truth.
The art of storytelling by animation. The Spanish Lottery film “Justino” captured hearts, “ShottaSoCo” from Southern Comfort captured imaginations, “Paper” by Honda captured curiosity and Harvey Nichols “Shoplifters” made the whole world smile.
Read the Leo Burnett 2016 Cannes Predictions report in full here.