Jonathan Brough has joined Filmgraphics, beginning a new phase in his twenty-year career after conquering film & TV.
Brough’s work has been shown at Cannes, Edinburgh, Hof, Slamdance, Berlin Interfilm and Sydney Film festivals and screened internationally on Comedy Central, SundanceTV, BBC and Netflix.
He has won two Australian Directors’ Guild Awards for Best Director, Comedy – one in 2016 for his work on Sammy J & Randy in Ricketts Lane, the other in 2018 for Rosehaven. His sitcom, The Family Law, received two nominations, including Best Comedy, in the 2016 AACTA awards.
Brough’s awarded short films include Snowmen (2015), selected for Interfilm Berlin and the Pacific Meridian Film Festival:
No Ordinary Sun, which was Best Short Film at the New Zealand International Film Festival 2005 and Official Selection at Edinburgh, Hof & Slamdance:
Permanent Wave (1996), selected for the London & Sydney Film Festivals:
The Model, which was an Official Selection for Cannes Film Festival 1994:
His TV work includes:
- The End – SeeSaw Films / Foxtel / Sky Atlantic
- Rosehaven Series 1,2 & 3 – Guesswork TV / ABC Australia / SundanceTV
- Ronny Chieng: International Student – Sticky Pictures / Comedy Central US / ABC Australia
- The Family Law – Matchbox Pictures / SBS / NBCU
- Sammy J and Randy in Ricketts Lane – Sticky Pictures / ABC Australia/Netflix
- The Time of Our Lives, Series 1 & 2 – Amanda Higgs / ABC Australia
- It’s a Date Series 1 & 2 – Princess Pictures / ABC Australia
- Wonderland – Fremantle / Channel 10 Australia
- Coverband – TVNZ / thedownlowconcept,
- The Pretender – Great Southern TV / TV3 NZ,
- Spirited – John Edwards / Foxtel
- The Insider’s Guide to Happiness – Gibson Group / TVNZ
- Trails of Napier – Rhys Darby/HBO, pilot
- The Unauthorised History of New Zealand & Eating Media Lunch – GSTV / TVNZ
- Outrageous Fortune – South Pacific Pictures / TV3
“I’ve been trying very hard for many years not to f*ck up television, and I’m really looking forward to the chance to not f*ck up advertising,” Brough stated.
Brough has most enjoyed his work with world class comedic talent and is keen to translate his craft to commercials.
“Jonathan understands comedy inside and out, and knows how to get pitch-perfect performances from his actors. He will elevate any project that comes his way by adding ideas and workshopping with creatives,” stated Anna Fawcett, executive producer, Filmgrahpics.
Find more of his work at filmgraphics.com