DDB, BBDO and Leo Burnett battled it out for Network of the Year at the 30th edition of the Epica Awards. Publicis agency, Leo Burnett, was triumphant.
Omnicom was Holding Company of the Year nonetheless. Its agencies – TBWA, DDB and BBDO – collected 82 awards.
DDB Brussels won Epica’s first Design Grand Prix with Simplified Stories, a streamlined book designed to make reading easier for Alzheimer’s sufferers. adam&eveDDB won Golds for Tiny Dancer and Man on the Moon, both for John Lewis. DDB Group Germany won 3 Golds for its Facebook campaign, Check It Before It’s Removed: Naked Breasts On Facebook Against Breast Cancer.
TBWA won 8 Gold awards. Heimat Berlin won 3 for the Hornbach spot, You’re alive, do you remember?, for the surreal, Way of the Master, for Das Handwerk (a German craft association) and for the animated spot, The Letter, for retailer Otto.
TBWA\Istanbul won Gold in Social with its anti-homophobia film, Gay Turtle.
TBWA\Raad in the United Arab Emirates won 2 Golds for Go Sport, a print campaign that digitally erased the heads and bodies of soccer players, leaving just their clothes and boots on the page with the copy It’s all about the gear. TBWA\Hakuhodo Japan won Gold in Online campaigns for Intelligent Parking Chair for Nissan.
BBDO New York won Agency of the Year with 19 awards including 1 Gold for La Pursuit for Grey Goose vodka. Other BBDO Golds were Energy BBDO’s Sarah and Juan for Extra Gum and BBDO Russia’s pUp Syndrome that featured Down Syndrome sufferers working in an animal care centre.
Australia’s winners were:
- Leo Burnett Melbourne, Silver, Preserved Memories for SPC Ardmona
- Leo Burnett Melbourne, Silver, Reword for Headspace
- Leo Burnett Melbourne, Bronze, Reword for Headspace
- McCann Sydney, Silver, A Table to End Hunger for The Hunger Project
- TBWA\Sydney, Silver, Uncrushable for M.J.Bale
- CHE Proximity, Bronze, Family Emergency for Bayer
New Zealand’s winners were:
- Colenso BBDO, Silver (x3), Brewtroleum for DB Breweries
The major winners were:
- Holding Company of the Year: Omnicom with 82 awards
- Network of the Year: Leo Burnett with 49 awards including 12 Golds
- Agency of the Year: BBDO New York with 19 awards including 1 Gold
- Independent Agency of the Year: Try Norway with 9 awards including 4 Golds
- Highest award earning country: USA with 69 awards including 12 Golds
Epica Grands Prix:
Grand Prix Film: Kenzo World by Framework, written and directed by Spike Jonze
Grand Prix Press: Brad is Single by Try Norway, the tactial ad that used the separation of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as a lure for ticket purchases to Los Angeles for airline company, Norwegian.
Grand Prix Design: Simplified Stories by DDB Brussels
Grand Prix Outdoor: Doors of Thrones by Publicis London
Grand Prix Digital: The Next Rembrandt by J. Walter Thompson Amsterdam