It’s a big year for the Effies. It’s 50th. To celebrate, the awards program has announced the 5 for 50 Award during its presentation in New York of the winners of the 2019 Effie Awards US and Global Effie competitions.
The Grand Effie (Best in Show) was won by Saatchi & Saatchi New York and Procter & Gamble, with contributors Hearts & Science, Taylor Strategy, MKTG and MMC, for It’s a Tide Ad.
“It’s a Tide Ad had insight, magic, effervescence, surprise, extraordinary execution and great numbers,” stated Grand Effie juror, David Lubars, chief creative officer BBDO Worldwide and chairman BBDO North America. “When all of these things come together in a seemingly effortless way, it’s a winner.”
5 for 50 winners:
Entrants for the special 5 for 50 Effie were required to have won more than one Effie Award over more than one year and to demonstrate that they most effectively adapted, stayed relevant and sustained business success for the brand over time.
The five 5 for 50 Effie Award recipients are:
- Media Arts Lab and Apple: From the brink of bankruptcy to one of the world’s most beloved brands, with OMD USA
- Ogilvy and Unilever: Dove – Campaign for Real Beauty, with Edelman USA
- Ogilvy and IBM: IBM. A leading brand. A lasting brand.
- McCann Worldgroup and Mastercard: 22 Years of Priceless
- Wieden+Kennedy and Nike: NIKE JUST DO IT
Grand Effie contenders (top scoring Gold Effie winners):
- Ogilvy and Chicago Sun-Times: The Blank Page
- TracyLocke and Diageo North America: Diageo Pretty Simple Drinks
- Terri & Sandy and Ogilvy (co-lead agencies) & Gerber: Anything for Baby, with Edible, Hornall Anderson and Hogarth
- Leo Burnett/Arc and Starcom (co-lead agencies) and Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats: Write-on Wrappers, with Google and Krispr
- Energy BBDO National Safety Council: Prescribed to Death, with PHD and Ketchum
- Droga5 and Tourism Australia: Dundee: A tourism campaign in disguise, with UM and Kovert Creative
- Team Unilever Shopper and Geometry (co-lead agencies) and Unilever’s Axe: Axe Start His Journey, with Mirum Shopper
- POSSIBLE-Seattle and WeCounterHate: Life After Hate, with Spredfast and Hearby Sound
Global Effie Winners:
Global Effie Award winners are the year’s most effective marketing ideas that worked in multiple markets worldwide.
- FP7/McCann Dubai and Magna Global UAE (co-lead agencies) and Dubai Properties won a Silver Global Effie for 1JBR: It’s Not for Everyone
- TBWA\Media Arts Lab and Apple won a Bronze Global Effie with OMD Worldwide for iPad Pro – What’s a Computer?
- FP7 McCann Dubai and PHD (UAE) (co-lead agencies) and Arla Foods’ Puck for Cook with Her: Challenging the Category by Challenging Stereotypes in the Kitchen
To deliver on its education mission, Effie held its first-ever Summit in the US on the drivers of marketing effectiveness. The summit was launched in the Effie Academy certification program earlier this year, and achieved increased engagement of college students participating in the 2019 Effie Collegiate Brand Challenge, sponsored by Subaru of America, Inc. The organisation expanded to 53 programs worldwide and ranked the most effective marketers in the world for its 9th annual Effie Index rankings.
Effie United States rankings reflect points accumulated from finalist and winning cases from the 2019 Effie Awards US competition and will be factored into the 2020 Global Effie Index. The most effective marketers from the 2019 Effie Awards US competition are:
- Marketers: #1 Procter & Gamble. #2Mondelez International. #3 Diageo, McDonald’s and Tourism Australia (three way tie)
- Brands: #1 McDonald’s and Tourism Australia (tie). #2 National Safety Council. #3 Tide
- Holding Companies: #1 IPG. #2 WPP. #3 Omnicom
- Agency Networks: #1 McCann Worldgroup. #2 Ogilvy. #3 Droga5
- Agency Offices: #1 Droga5 NY. #2 Ogilvy NY, #3 Geometry NY
- Independent Agencies: #1 Droga5. #2 Terri & Sandy. #3 22squared and Swellshark (tie)
View the lists and case studies here.