Serviceplan agencies in Korea, France, India and Germany have won 2 White, 4 Graphite and 3 Wooden pencils at D&AD’s second annual Impact Awards, applauding transformative creative ideas that make a positive difference to the world.
- DOT. The first Braille Smartwatch by Serviceplan Korea, won 1 White and 2 Graphite Pencils.
- WhatsGerman by Plan.Net, Serviceplan’s global digital arm, won 1 White Pencil and 1 Wood Pencil.
- Life Time Clock by Serviceplan Health & Life for Stiftung fuers Leben won 1 Graphite Pencil.
- The Virtual Crash Billboard by Serviceplan France for Parisian Road Safety Authority won 1 Wood Pencil.
- And The Truth Unveiled by Serviceplan India for the IPRAS WomenforWomen campaign won 1 Graphite Pencil and 1 Wood Pencil.
This campaign was conceived by Serviceplan Health & Life with Serviceplan India, to raise awareness of acid attack victims in India and won its Pencils in the Health & Wellness and Diversity & Equality categories. It was the agencies’ response to the problem that in India, one woman is burned or attacked with acid every hour. If any of these victims is reported on in national media outlets in India, their faces are consistently blurred and obscured, which keeps their suffering hidden and ignored, and has stopped the severity of the domestic abuse situation from being properly acknowledged.
For the four acid attack victims featured in the campaign, the campaign had a special result. They have gone on to accept government jobs and been recruited by the Delhi High Court, in a unique path-breaking initiative designed to confront societal prejudice against acid attack victims.
So the real reward is that the campaign encouraged a global dialogue about the tragic effect that acid attacks can have on the lives of ordinary people and even succeeded in making the government aware of the plight of acid attack victims. This, undoubtedly, demonstrates the transformative potential when creativity is used for the greater good.