Aussies love their Vegemite but no-one loves finding butter in their Vegemite. In fact, they find it icky, and “they” are 58% of Australians (according to a survey by the Vegemite team at Bega Cheese Limited). On top of that, if there’s butter in the Vegemite jar, 49% say that it’s not their fault. As if there’s not enough discord in the world!! Vegemite and its agency, Thinkerbell, realised that the problem needed to be removed.
Jacqui Roth, Vegemite marketing manager, explained, “Aussies are opening up their jars of Vegemite to find that butter has somehow made its way in. We can’t have that. So, we’re introducing a solve – the limited-edition Vegeknife. The limited-edition Vegeknife is a dual-headed cutlery breakthrough, with one end for butter and one end for Vegemite – so now, there’s no reason to get butter in the Vegemite jar.
“We know that Australians take their Vegemite toast very seriously, and we hope that the Vegeknife will remove the need for difficult household conversations that are centred around finding out who’s responsible for the butter in the Vegemite jar. Cross-contamination between spreads in your household will be a thing of the past,” she added.
The metal Vegeknife has been crafted to feature two ends – one specifically for butter, and one for Vegemite – to ensure that butter stays out of the Vegemite jar.
How to secure a VEGEKNIFE
Vegemite is offering this very special piece of Vegemite history in a competition. Only 200 Vegeknives will be released and can be won. To enter the competition, people simply head to the Vegemite Instagram for more information. The competition ends 11:59pm AEDT Sunday 25 October 2020.
How do you like your Vegemite?
- How do Aussies spread their VEGEMITE on toast? The responses are in and almost half of the Aussies surveyed (45%) prefer a thin layer of Vegemite, the next most common preference was lots of butter and a scraping of Vegemite (32%), followed by those who prefer to spread Vegemite on thick (20%).
- When asked what goes first – butter or Vegemite – those who butter first and then Vegemite account for 86% of Aussies surveyed.
- With regards to the preferred Vegemite to butter ratio, around 45% of Aussies surveyed prefer more butter than Vegemite, those who prefer an even spread of Vegemite and butter make up 30%, those who prefer more Vegemite than butter constitute 13% of respondents, and 12% of respondents don’t use butter.
- Over 32 per cent of respondents felt irritated by discovering butter in their jar of VEGEMITE, with 7 per cent of the 32 per cent feeling beyond irritated.
- Do Aussies consider others when they’re using Vegemite and are they careful not to leave butter in the Vegemite jar? 38% of respondents think this is the least of their worries, 37% are careful not to get butter in the jar, 19% of respondents remove butter from the Vegemite jar if they get butter in the jar and 6% of respondents do not wipe the knife clean before they dip it into a Vegemite jar.
- If there’s butter in the Vegemite jar, 49% of respondents agree that it’s not their fault. Over 11% disagree that if there’s butter in the Vegemite jar, it’s not their fault, with 6% of respondents strongly disagreeing.