“Every copywriter has attempted a novel, but most never got around to finishing it.” It’s an adage that appears to be true. Miami Ad School and Grey Canada asked copywriters to submit the first chapters of their unfinished novels. The callout resulted in submissions being sent from all over the world.
Twenty were chosen to go into a book, The First Chapter Project, which is now available for pre-order.
Because every copywriter wants to know what other copywriters can do. That’s not an adage but it’s likely to be true.
The collection of first chapters in The First Chapter Project comes from writers such as Susan Fowler Credle, Global CCO FCB; Paul Nagy, CCO VMLY&R Australia, and Tom Christmann, Partner & CCO DiMassimo Goldstein, New York.
The book is available through Kickstarter. A printed copy of the book is CA$20 (AU$21), and a digital PDF of the book is CA$10 (AU$10.50).
The project is also a clever campaign for Miami Ad School. All proceeds will go toward a Miami Ad School scholarship fund, “to help other wannabe novelists become successful copywriters”.
Here are the writers whose first chapters you will be able to read:
- Susan Fowler Credle: Global Chief Creative Officer FCB, New York
- Paul Nagy: Chief Creative Officer VMLY&R, Sydney
- Tom Christmann: Partner & Chief Creative Officer DiMassimo Goldstein, New York
- Ralph Michael Stieber: Founder & Creative Director STORY Berlin, Germany
- Dan Hofstadter: Freelance Creative Director & Writer, Long Beach
- Suzanne Darmory: President & Co-founder hi, our name is, New York
- John Carstens: Senior Vice President, Executive Creative Director Team DDB, Chicago
- Ian David: Creative Director Fearless, Alabama
- Nic Penrake: Senior Freelance Copywriter, London
- Dany Rothemund: Senior Copywriter 360i, New York
- Peter Lagosky: Copywriter McCann, Calgary
- Kyle Douglas Harrison: Junior Copywriter McCann, New York
- Jacob Pacey: Copywriter BBDO, Toronto
- Cassi Kaplan & Josh Schendel: Freelance Copywriters, Toronto
- Victor Saburido Copywriter R/GA, São Paulo
- Josh Bentley-Swan: Owner Bentley Swan Copywriting Services, Berlin
- Michael Webber: Copywriter We Are Unlimited, Chicago
- Olga Alonso: Junior Copywriter Saatchi & Saatchi, Sydney
- Madhushani Ramaraju: Junior Copywriter Cossette, Vancouver
Agency: Grey Canada
Chief Creative Officer: Helen Pak
Executive Creative Directors: James Ansley & Joel Arbez
Design Director: Genevieve Beharry
Associate Creative Director: Ryan Lawrence
Copywriter: Rena Green
Art Director: Eric Carriere
Account Executive: Kate Beaman
Senior Development Lead: Pablo Mellognio
Client: Miami Ad School Toronto
Dean: Stephen Jurisic
Founder: Aman Gulati